Thursday, July 4, 2013

Getting Back into the Groove

This is the time of year that is most difficult for me to get back on my bike. After a two-week
AIDS/LifeCycle and vacation break, I'm finding other things pulling my interest (not the least of which is work, since I didn't make a penny during my break). Plus its been hot in Sacramento. Today the high is supposed to be 108ยบ F; the fifth day in a row of plus 100 degree temperatures. And for some reason, the humidity has been unusually high, too; right now its 35%.

I've not entirely abandoned cycling. Since June 17, when I got back, I've done three 35 mile rides plus I've ridden to the gym about 10 times (13 miles total each time). Still, it doesn't feel like enough. Especially given my goal to lose about 15 lbs before August (getting me down to 160 lbs).

So, I'm going to institute the following weekly summer regimen:

  1. Five days per week, ride my typical commute to the gym (65 miles).
  2. Two days per week, ride at least 35 mile (70 miles).
  3. At least one weekend ride of 35 miles with some hills (35 miles).
So the total minimum ride from July 1 to September 1, 2013 will be about 170 miles. Starting after the holiday weekend.

I want at least one of the rides in nos. 2 and 3 to be a group ride. So, I'm going to commit to doing two ART rides on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. (unless another commitment conflict). I'm putting them on my calendar now; join me.

I'm also going to commit to leading one local 30 to 50 mile ride every weekend starting on 7/13/13 until 9/1/13, or going on a ride in the Bay Area (a friend is OOC there and I may need to go on the spur of the moment).

I'll post both of these types of rides on the Sacrament ALC Training Ride page. Please like the page for more.

Love, 
Your Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment